SMARTing my way towards 2013
The trouble with SMART targets is that you know when you haven’t met them. Specific, Measurable, Achieveable, Realistic and Time-limited. And the trouble is, my resolutions are SMART, so it will be clear if I fail. Never mind.
- Get to 9 stone (126lbs) by the beginning of March.
- Complete the Glasgow Women’s 10k in in an hour or less, in May.
- Draft the novel by the end of June.
- Tidy the house (ongoing)
- Take my career out of the three boxes it is currently in and bin most of it, reducing all I need to know to a couple of files that I can take back to work in August. Or even get it down to a single memory stick. Or just chuck the lot of it and start again in real life.
Actually… maybe I should have a look at last year’s resolutions and see how I did. Hold on…
They were, from the post “Too Many Resolutions”
- Learn how to make pancakes.
- Learn German.
- Paint a picture.
- Be ruthless with decluttering and chucking stuff out.
- Finish the first draft of the Nanowrimo novel by the end of November 2012.
So, how did I do?
- Pancakes – I can make them now.
- German. Ein bisschen.
- Utterly did not paint a picture. I don’t think. Wait a minute. Yes I did! The Easter Triptych!
- The chucking out has been okay. Could do better. Several significant areas of the house have been dealt with. More remain.
- First draft: total fail – although it is all planned out in my head – and now I have my new computer I should be able to get on with it without needing to wait half an hour for the computer to open a document and fail to find the internet…
So, three and an ongoing half out of five isn’t too bad.
I am optimistic about the fit and thin aspects of my resolutions this year. It is now or never. The disturbing thing is that, even although I think I am sort of average to thinnish – technically I am still overweight. Not for long. I have a BMI of 25 just about a month away I think, at this rate.
As for the novel…
It’ll be great…
When I write it.
The prologue is genius…