News to Me: Ten Parenting Epiphanies
A friend recently shared her top ten parenting insights in a post: “10 Things I Never Knew About Parenting”.
I thought I would have a go; here are mine:
- If you ever want to leave the house, start leaving the house or you never will.
- A successful day is one that begins at 6.30am.
- It isn’t food; it is leverage.
- 8am is not early.
- Consistency is all well and good in theory.
- Any coping strategy that worked should be celebrated and tidily archived. But bear in mind that a new one will be needed tomorrow.
- Reading “Winnie the Pooh” or any heinous-Disney-book-of-the-film-atrocity is guaranteed to send me to sleep.
- Children are all different. The same child can also be different.
- Despite all evidence to the contrary, I am the grown up. So I’d better get on with it.
So, there you go.
I’m not in a misty-eyed, schmaltzy mood. Had I been, this list would be different.
As noted in point 6, every day is an opportunity to learn something new. What might I learn tomorrow? You know, I don’t even want to think about it. I’ll enjoy the good in today and deal with tomorrow tomorrow.