How to Create Your Own Dystopia
- Mess with time to generate a feeling of anxiety, guilt and purposelessness.
- Rework a war-ravaged city into a fantasy version of itself, but with more poverty.
- Create a protagonist who only wants the simple things in life, but who is incapable of reaching them.
- Whisk your protagonist away to a clean or peaceful environment that is not what it seems to be.
- Have your protagonist unwittingly take part in oppression of innocents or cannibalism.
- Have a brief window of optimism when your protagonist seems to be able to sustain a meaningful relationship, despite the bleak setting.
- Shatter this optimism with a close look at human nature and allow horror to surface, for a brief moment.
- Dull and flatten the end of your work with a bland sense of inevitability and futility.
That ought to do it.
Don’t think I’ll bother.
I’m thinking….. chick-lit?